Thursday, September 8, 2005

To My Credit, II

My month without a credit card was completelt crippling. On a day to day basis, I almost never use cash. I usually keep a twenty-dollar bill with me (just in case...), but I rarely ever use it. Sometimes that twenty dollars will last a couple of months. Of course I spend, I just pay with plastic. Mostly this is for my own convenience: I never have to go to the ATM, I don't count or recieve change, I know I always have enough. A lot of places make it a lot easier on the credit-card carrying consumer as well: gas stations make you take your cash inside, but credit cards you can use without leaving your car; the self check-out lines are a lot faster with a credit card, and a credit card is the only way to shop on-line.

So my question: In this day of e-mail, e-commerce, telecommuting and virtual reality, do we really need printed money? Wouldn't virtual money suffice? The system could function just like a debit card, so credit would not be an issue. Cash is practically obsolete anyway, why not retire the mugs of George Washington, Abe Lincoln and Ben Franklin once and for all?

Of course, I'd still have to remember where I put my card...

No comments:

Post a Comment