Tuesday, April 11, 2006

In the garden

I've finally given in and let Megan crawl around in the mud. And so with the recent sunny weather we have been spending a lot of time outside, giving me a chance to get back to gardening whenever I please. Of course gardening with a one year old does have its challenges all of which are very detrimental to my efficiency. But still Mondays activities included:

- weeding the 8 foot row of bulbs along the driveway
- transplanting three ground cover plants to under the pine trees
- moving three stepping stones
- marking new plants and trees with stakes
- planting a pot of Morroccan mint
- watering said plants and a few other recently planted items
- checking on the seedlings in the greenhouse
- removing some slime from the pond

Not too bad... except this list took me nearly three hours! But I forgot to mention that I also threw pine cones down the hill, hid behind the bushes, broke up dirt clods, picked flowers, climbed the deck stairs, hung out at Turtle beach (aka Megan's sandbox), pushed Megan on the swing, petted the kitties, and prevented Megan's swimming attempt in the pond (only one soaking shoe and sock!).

All this outdoor time has been very educational for Megan. I am proud to report that my daughter can distinguish between good plants and weeds with perfect accuracy. Megan pulled, mangled, sat on, and tormented numerous plants while we were outside, and not one of them, I tell you, was a weed.

No comments:

Post a Comment