Tuesday, September 2, 2008

New Perspective

Of all the animals, the boy is the most unmanageable.
-Plato


For a couple of months now, I have been contemplating an entry about Liam, stemming from the above quote. I thought Liam was so different from Megan. Liam NEVER sits still, he is always on the move, and he is into everything.

But for the last five days its been just me and Liam; Megan and Mac went down to Southern California to visit his family. Suddenly, Liam doesn't seem so unmanageable. Yes, he is still quite active and he is still into everything. He has creative ways of rearranging my stuff (like my shoes, below) and has a unnatural attraction to the toilet. But when it was just me and him, I could keep up. And I realized he wasn't SO different from Megan when she was 18 months, but just that they are SO different now. But he did sit still - he's developed a love of books and we hadn't even noticed. And he is a sweet cuddly guy. Parenting an 18 month old isn't so hard, it's just hard when you have to do it with a 3 year old, too.




It's nice to have this perspective. I've tried to stop calling Liam a "holy terror." I realized I spend more time focusing on Megan's activities than Liam's, because hers are more interesting to me. But I am trying to change this, too. For the last few days, I have been reading books with Liam, just looking at the pictures and letting him name things and then adding my own encouragement,"Right, Liam it is a cow! and what does the cow say?" Sure, I am bored to tears but at least he seems manageable.




No comments:

Post a Comment