Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Family Update

Here's where we all stand on Day of Life #3:

Liam: His breathing is great and he hasn't needed any respiratory support. His heart rate often drops with feeding or pooping, but he is always able to get it back to normal by himself, which is the most important thing. Unfortunately, eating has proven to be too much of a challenge this early on - the little guy just has very poor muscle tone and falls asleep too fast to even finish his required ONE OUNCE meals (every three hours), so he did get a feeding tube. He still seems to be sleeping as much as ever, so I don't think the tube is bothering him too much. Weight gain (and avoiding significant wieght loss) is a huge concern, so the tube stays in until he can eat well on his own. This is also a requirement before he gets to go home. (FYI - an ounce of breast milk/formula has 20 calories; Liam has lost six ounces in the last two days).

Mom: I am tired. The heavy blood loss, surgery and new baby seem to have taken their toll. The C-section incision burns when I move, but most of the muscle soreness is gone. Fortunately, I've been able to shed all my wires and tubes (compression boots, pulse-ox, catheter, IV, etc.) and I don't even have to pee into a bucket anymore so that they can monitor my urine output! (So fun being in the hospital!). The breast pumpimg is going well and I expect to have enough milk today that Liam won't need any more formula supplementation.

Dad: Mac has been a trooper. I don't think he gets much acknowledgement that this is a rough time for him, too. He is tired and it shows. Still he's been getting up at night with me to help with pumping and he went to feed Liam while I got to nap this afternoon. Hopefully, he'll be able to get a goodnight's sleep tonight - he needs it.

Megan: Megan is a little overwhelmed and still trying to get everything figured out. She has seen Liam twice but always seemed a little confused. Her confusion was really brought to light when she asked,"Who's in Mommy's tummy?" while she was looking at Liam. My IV line also really freaked her out - she kept asking about my boo-boo and saying "mommy hurt her arm." She was much more at ease with me today now that it was out. We got some good quality time together today. And we are lucky to have two doting grandmas staying at our house, making this a bit easier on Megan.




1 comment:

  1. Mac and Pam,
    You have a beautiful family. Liam will pull through this just fine. I know how this feels, as I was in the same position with my third daughter. It is an emotional roller coaster. Thank Goodness you have a loving family, and wonderful friends around you for support. Hang in there! You are all in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete