Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Nursemaid's Elbow

Yesterday I got a call at work from Mac. Nothing out of the ordinary, except his somber tone. Mac was pretty convinced Megan had dislocated her shoulder.

"I bet it is her elbow," I told him and he agreed to call the doctor. Megan got an emergency appointment. A 3 second relocation procedure transformed a screaming Megan with a lifeless arm to a once again happy girl who waved her arm freely. And as an added bonus Megan got the once over just to make sure she wasn't being abused at home!

Megan came home completely awestruck by the whole event. Coincidentally, we had checked out Cordoroy Goes to the Doctor at the library that week so Megan was already mostly brain washed about the wonders of the doctor's office. Megan spent the entire evening repeating "Doctor fix it. Doctor fix your arm."

I tried to take the opportunity to teach Megan about mommy's work. "Megan, Mommy is a doctor, too." I tried to explain. But how could that be? I wasn't an arm miracle worker. Megan let me know immediately what she thought of my explaination: "Mommy funny." Where is the love for the pathologists??

On the bright side, Megan seriously made an instant recovery and her arm is perfect. We won't be swinging, lifting or pulling her by the arms anytime soon, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment