Friday, December 8, 2006

The Gift of Life

About a month ago, I sent a mass e-mail to family announcing that we were having a boy. Though the sex was different than that our first child, I urged people to go donate blood rather than buy us a gift. Actually, I asked people to celebrate this new life by giving the "gift of life." I figured blood donation would do more good for the world than a cute new onsie for my son. Besides, after Megan, we are more than adequately prepared with general baby items and I know plenty moms willing to pass on hand-me-downs for the more sex-specific items.

But the importance of blood donation became personal this week: one of Mac's very close relatives was diagnosed with leukemia. The treatment for leukemia is a long and intensive course of very toxic agents more politely known as chemotherapy. The chemotherapy functions to poison the leukemic cells in the bone marrow. Unfortunately, the chemotherapy is not discriminating and so it wreaks havoc on all of the normal marrow cells as well (and many other cells in the body too, the most familiar of course being the hair follicles). Without the normal bone marrow cells the body cannot make red blood cells, white blood cells or platelets. People require blood transfusions, often many, to survive this toxic assault. In effect, the patient relies on others to make blood for him until his own marrow can recover.

The season also makes the need for blood donation salient. Blood banks have a perennial problem with blood supply during the month of December. There is chronic short supply during the holidays, to the point that I have frequently seen the blood bank on "Red Alert" during this period, a status that requires blood rationing because the supply is not enough to meet the demand. Even regular blood donors may skip the holidays - people are busy and weather condititons are bad. But bad weather can increase auto accidents, as can those booze laden holiday parties, and leukemia certainly doesn't care about Christmas.

So if you have some extra time this winter, make a trip to your local Red Cross. For those concerned about feeling tired after blood donation or if you happen to weigh less than the necessary 110 pounds, consider donating platelets. Platelet donation takes longer, but essentially has no after effects (I have done this several times). The gift of life may be the best gift you can give this holiday season.

12/11 follow-up: Figuring it would be hypocritical to urge others to donate without donating myself, I just tried to make an appointment. I have always shied away from blood donation and have instead done platelet donations, but that's only available in Portland. I didn't really care to drive that far. So I thought I'd suck it up and donate blood, but the Red Cross doesn't want us preggo's (probably a wise call). So instead I'll direct my donation enthusiasm toward nagging Mac to give.

1 comment:

  1. So our choice is to either deny someone life-preserving blood products or curse your son to an early life of gender-confusing girlie onesies? Oh bitter fate!
    Perhaps there's some way to compromise... like giving a sick person a tiny outfit, or giving your baby a onesie made of blood...

    ReplyDelete