Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Quick Ten Weeks

The last ten weeks flew by, and my maternity leave has come to a close. :(

I am sad to not be at home, but sometimes I think it is actually nice to be able to get away. It is interesting comparing work to staying at home - I am not sure which one I would say is more difficult.

Work just seems to eat up my time, in a way that being at home did not. I get up, get ready, spend nine hours at work, and then in the remaining few hours we have to squeeze in dinner and getting the kids to bed and then myself, before the whole cycle starts again. The week passes and I don't feel like I did anything but go to work. On maternity leave, we did things like go to the park, walk to the llamas, take a two day trip to the beach - we could schedule anything we wanted because our days were free.

But then at work I can pretty much do whatever I want. Sure I have to get my work done, but if I want to take a break, I can. Surf the internet, type a few e-mails - that's ok, too, as long as the work gets done. But at home the kids are the boss - when they want something, they want it NOW! They don't let me sit around, drink a latte and discuss last night's episode of Lost for another ten minutes. And I have to do a lot more multi-tasking at home, like feeding Liam a bottle, get out the art supplies and wash the dishes all at the same time. And if someone doesn't agree with you at work, they might send you a nasty e-mail, but if Megan doesn't agree with me, she might throw a tantrum from hell.

Taking care of the kids stresses me out a lot more and I am more tired at the end of the day. But at the end of the day being at home, I felt like I had done more and life was certainly a lot more interesting. And, best of all, I got to be with the kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment