Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Birds And The Bats

Last Saturday, Megan and Liam came running upstairs after watching a TV show: "Guess what?!? A bird got in our house and is flying around!"

Mr. Incredulous asks back, "A real bird?"

"Yeah, there's a real bird in our family room!!" they yell excitedly.

So we go down stairs to check. Mac sticks his head into the room to look. Just as I get a quick glimpse of a flitting animal, Mac screams like a little girl and pulls the door shut quickly. "It's a BAT!"

Ok, now just imagine a huge blood sucking rabid bat doing circles in our family room... This was nothing like that. We had a teeny-weeny flying rodent trapped downstairs and our adrenaline was flowing.

"Just open the outside door and let the bat fly out," I say. Mac agrees that this is genius, that is until he realizes the door is locked and can't be opened from the outside. Finally realizing that he needs to grow a pair, he agrees to dart across the room and open the door, which he does with amazing expertise for such a complicated task.

We close the bat in, with its only otion for leaving the room to go outside, which it eventually does and order is restored to our little house in the country.

***
Thursday Megan says to me with longing, "I wish someone would bring us a baby birdie."

I don't what she is talking about, so I ask if one of her friends got a baby birdie.

"No!," She tells me,"like the song!"

"Megan, What are you talking about?!?"

"You know the Christmas song: Oh bring us a baby birdie, Oh bring us a baby birdie, Oh bring us a baby birdie and bring it right now."

I explained it was 'figgy pudding' but I think I'd rather have a baby birdie, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment