Sunday, January 31, 2010

Birthday Bash

Megan's party was a mass of screaming girls in fancy dresses...just what Megan wanted.

Megan wanted to wear her fancy dress from Auntie Al, but we convinced her she didn't have to have a princess party to do this - so we had a My Little Pony Party, with a request in the invitation to "Wear a Party Dress!" My general rule has been one invite per year of age, but I learned that social politics start early and not wanting to ostracize anyone, we sent out seven invites and all RSVP'd yes.

The party started calmly with some coloring. Then we moved on to pin the tail on the donkey (which is kind of like a pony, right?), where I awarded the prize to a girl who cheated because I didn't know the right way to deal with the incident involving somebody else's kid in a roomful of their peers - more of that 5 year old politics stuff!The calm before the storm

Then the girls all got to decorate their own mini-cupcakes. This activity is a big hit, plus I didn't have to spend any time decorating a cake with horseshoes and pink unicorns and other Pony things.Then, to make sure the girls were good and sugared up we had the Pony Pinata! This was a special safety pinata where everyone pulls a string and the pinata breaks open, thus removing the danger of some kid getting bashed in the head from another blindfolded youngster who is wildly swinging a big stick (ask my sister about the chick she took out at her party with a metal baseball bat one year!). Well, guess what? Some kid got bashed in the head! Ok, maybe not quite that serious, but one girl made a dive for the first piece of candy when all the rest of the candy fell on her head - very traumatic to a five year old!
Beware of the Pony in the rafters!
Blissfully unaware of impending tragedy.
Then on to the gifts, where all the girls fought over having Megan open their gift first. What is the deal with that, anyway?
So it was a full agenda of activities...except...Uh, oh! Crap - all of the planned activities were done and we still had 35 minutes to kill before pick-up time when we could be done with Pink Pony's for the day. So it was back downstairs for some "free play" and another round of pin the tail on the donkey. Yeay!

At one point, I went up to the bathroom. I didn't really need to go, but it seemed like the best way to get away for a couple of minutes. The clock in my room said 4:15 as I left. I walked slowly back down the hall and the thermostat clock said 4:13. Oh, my God - time was literally moving backwards! But I made it through the last 15 minutes just fine and all the Moms were on time, which is good because if they had been late their kid would have been off the list for next year - politics be damned! ;)

Ok, yes, it was a lot of chaos, but it was fun, too especially because I don't get to be involved in a lot of these multi-kid events with my job. And Megan got some great gifts. In fact, I was inspired to get a haircut the next day, because I was a little embarrassed that Polly Pocket had a much cuter 'do than me.You better watch it, Polly. You may have stylish clothes, perky boobs, and cute hair, but this is still my house, and I can ship you off to Goodwill anytime I've had enough of your fashionista ways!

Happy Birthday, Megita.
Love,
Your Un-stylish Mom

3 comments:

  1. Great post. Made me want to be there. Of course I don't need much arm twisitng for that. They were all very sweet and I am very proud of you for tackling such an endeavor. Not always the sanest idea especially when it all has to be indoors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Megan from Adelaide (and the other Mirons, obviously, one of whom is typing this comment). I loved your observation about sneaking away to kill time- I've done that many times, but it never seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been debating what to do for EP's party next month... I do believe that cupcake decorating just went onto the agenda!

    ReplyDelete