Monday, March 14, 2005

Ides of March

Today is a sad day for us. When I went to let the chickens out (at 6:45 because I was awake!), I found Ada dead. This did not come as a complete surprise as she never began laying again this spring, her comb was dull and yesterday she was quite listless (fortunately I only noticed this for one day so I hope she didn't suffer long). So today, when you have an egg, think of Ada. We will remeber her fondly as the black chicken in our flock.



Ada Smith
Spring '02- March 14, 2005

In other sad news, our sleep experiment failed miserably. Trying to wake Megan up at 9pm for a semi-conscious feeding resulted in no extended sleep period rather than pushing it later. Plus she had two non-feeding wake-ups and she was still ready to start the day around 5:15. So today I will ponder why I really need to stay up past seven PM.

3 comments:

  1. How very eerie ... Just as you (hoped?) predicted, P. Creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you're the soothsayer, Ada's Caesar, but who's Brutus? I'm looking in your direction Pearl...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had the pleasure of meeting Ada, but I noticed a same species, genus match in my National Geographic last night and thought of her (and your hobby). This is probably old news to you, but the ancestor of domestic chickens is the red jungle fowl (gallus gallus). Here's to you Ada.

    ReplyDelete