Monday, October 3, 2005

First Day of Work

Alright, one day down, twenty years to go!

Anyway my first day of work went well. Megan cooperated like a champ. She didn't wake up for her feeding until 6 am. Normally I feed her and then we all go back to our respective beds for another little snooze. This, morning, however, Megan went back to snoozing and I had to get ready for work. She was still sleeping when I left.

Commuting on country roads should be nice because there isn't any traffic, unless, of course, you get stuck behind a school bus that stops every block for three miles. Then it sucks.

When I got to work, my first orde of business was to go get my picture taken and get an ID badge. But it just so happened to be the first day for the woman in charge of this task as well. She didn't have keys to the door. When we finally found someone to open it, she didn't have a password to log on to the computer. I had to go back later.

Then I headed off to the orientation required of all employees. The first item of discussion was the need to have your ID badge displayed at all times. I crossed my arms so no one would know I was already breaking the rules. The we watched the Fish video about how you can make work fun and how you choose your attitude every day. Actually, this was the best part of the orientation.

And no hospital orientation would be complete without the dreded blood borne pathogen lecture. Someone actually demonstrated how to wash your hands during this portion. And I nearly jumped out of my seat when the instructor talked about "certain bacteria like malaria also infect the blood." Malaria is a protozoan you moron, but I kept my cool.

I was the only new physician orienting today and every speaker kept asking "Is there one doctor here?" I had to keep raising my hand to tell them who I was. This might have been avoided if I had had the proper name tag. After identifying myself the speaker would tell me how this or that wasn't relative to me (I am not actually a hospital employee, just contracted by the hospital). I kept wondering why I was wasting my time if none of this was relevant. Apparently, they finally clued in because my afternoon session was separate from everyone elses and I am completely excused from day two of orientation tomorrow.

Coincidentally, there was one other physician who started work today, but he had already completed the orientation. His name was James Proffitt - how bizzarre.

In the afternoon, I actually went to my work site. There I was welcomed with flowers in my spiffy new office.



I unpacked a few books, met a few people, choose a few passwords, looked at a grand total of two slides, and called it a day.

When I got home I had more flowers waiting for me.



Plus a little peach:



Megan isn't really that messy when she eats, Mac just thought it would be funny to put peaches on her nose for the camera.

Tomorrow the office is having a welcome cake party for me. Now if only work were flowers and cake every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment