Thursday, September 7, 2006

Kids say the darndest things

Today Megan and I were reading one of her favorite books: the animal picture book. I think Megan can name all of the animals except the porcupine. In one picture a hen is sitting on two eggs - the rounded ends poke out just below the chicken breast. Megan is quite familiar with (and can say) eggs - she often has one for breakfast. So instead of the usual "What's that? What does it say?" line of questioning, I pointed to the eggs and asked, "what are those?" Megan's response: "Knees!"

****

Megan likes to rumage through the bathroom products and often carries a few of the (tightly sealed, childproof, and non-poisonous) items around the house. Today she ran up to me with a bottle of nailpolish in her outstretched arm.
"On" she insisted.
Curious about her understanding, I asked "What do you want me to put it on?"
"Nipples!" she responded without hesistation. Whoa! - she must have learned that from her Dad!

2 comments:

  1. I have to confess, I don't get either of these. Knees? Nipples? I feel like something funny is going on besides non-sequitirs, but I don't know what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the two eggs underneath the chicken do kind of look like knees. nipples is just totally random. the whole thing is just the world from a different view, a world where chickens have huge humanoid knees and nail polish goes on your nipples. Megan is *having* a conversation with these responses, they are just not your usual responses!

    ReplyDelete