Friday, September 15, 2006

Those Pesky Pronouns

Given that adults have such difficulty with pronoun usage (also see below), it is no wonder that this has been a stumbling block for Megan, too.

About two months ago, I decided it was time to give up on the whole baby-talk-refer-to-yourself-in-the-third-person thing and just start talking to Megan like an adult. I am sure those who had to listen to me are thankful; how annoying is it to hear somebody sing-songing,"Mommy loves you. Mommy is going to do it. Give it to mommy."??

Megan has certainly noticed that I have started calling myself "me" and she has taken the cue: she now calls me "Me" also. And to refer to herself? Well, I always says "you" when talking about her and so Megan has followed suit. Should she want someone to lift her up, she'll say "hold you" or "carry you." And if her clumsy hands can't spoon the food into her own mouth fast enough, she'll request "feed you" as she hands over her utensil.

No comments:

Post a Comment