Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Dx: Wimpy White Boy

Today the neonatologist talked to us some about Liam's progress. She said she he seems somewhat behind in terms of his eating and that he even seems a bit more premature than originally thought. She then leaned in and got really quiet. "We used to call these kids 'Wimpy White Boys,' but that's not P.C., so now we call them 'non-robust Caucasian males." She went on to explain that prematurity just seems to be worse in Liam's demographic and that these little guys just progress a bit slower. We also got warned that Liam might be boarding here a bit longer than the original estimate of a week. Essentially, he doesn't leave until he is eating by himself AND gaining weight.

Also, today a speech pathologist came to evaluate Liam, even though I was adamant that his lack of speech did not concern me one bit! Turns out she also evaluates suck and swallowing mechanisms. We weren't all that impressed when her evaluation came back as "overly somnolent and poor ability to suck (Duh!) but we've changed our tune now that we see how well her suggested "exercises" have helped. Hopefully, they'll turn our wimpy white boy into a growing gringo guy!

2 comments:

  1. Albert was called a "lazy white boy." Same smell, different nostril.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eat and sleep, eat and sleep. Liam's living my junior year in college! Next thing you know he'll be ripping off hundreds of pounds of meat from the hospital cafeteria.
    What kind of exercises is the speech pathologist using?
    Thanks for the update. I love you guys, and I dearly wish I was local. I'd bring Mac the best burger and fries I could find. Pam, you need some iron, so I'd give you hummus.

    ReplyDelete