Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Working Girl

This week was my first week back at work. So Sunday I spent the day moping around the house, repeatedly lamenting about my last day at home. Monday I cried as Mac headed out the door with Megan, but despite the grief, the separation was somewhat freeing as well. After taking a long shower, I realized I could wear anything I wanted and not have to worry about what can and cannot be spit up on. So I headed out of the house in an outfit that made it obvious that I haven't been completely wasting my time watching What Not to Wear.Heck, I even had pointy shoes on!

I spent a lot of the morning catching up with people I hadn't seen in a while and then I moved on to reviewing bone marrow cases. This was surprisingly familiar even after four months off and much of my dictation just seemed to roll off the tongue. Fortunately, it was a light day so I got to go home early, which was great because I was craving some Megan time and my pointy shoes were really hurting my feet! Tuesday was an even lighter day at work, which was also nice because I again had problems with my fashion conscious footwear. My cute little ballet flats turned out to be a homicidal pair hell-bent on making me fall flat on my face as the left one would not stay plantarly planted!

In this week back I am especially glad to have my own office as it has made pumping at work much easier. Additionally, I had to remove my nylons to rectify Tuesday's shoe situation.

As the weeks wear on, I expect the morning good-byes will get less traumatic and I am hoping I can say the same for my shoes!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your return to work hasn't been overly traumatic, save for the shoes. That's one thing I definitely don't miss - getting dressed up for work. I hope the rest of your week continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Not To Wear — ugh
    Kris has been watching this show on-and-off for several years. She loves it. (Though I think she prefers the original British version.) Personally, I think the fashion gurus are just as guilty of ugly clothing as the people they transform. Seriously. A prime example is the American version's obsession with the pointy shoe. Pointy shoes are ugly, impractical, and often down-right silly. I call them "witch shoes". The hosts have taken a personal fashion preference, one that's not necessarily any better than the sins they rail against, and promoted it to the point of absurdity.
    At least in the British version most of the advice is for sensible clothing. (But not all. Some of their stuff is awful, too.)
    They should let me do a fashion show, huh? I'd call it The Costco Couture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the main person who needs a fashion make-over is the make-up expert, who thinks she is so cool she only needs one name ("Carmindy"). most fashions are ridiculous, but i think that is the point - to be over the edge just a little bit. three years ago if you had worn a ribbon for a belt people would have thought you were too poor to afford leather; now you'd be considered hip. Where does that come from?? who knows - i am sure the same goes with pointy shoes. too bad fuzzy slippers and flannel pants aren't the height of fashion for work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, this should really be an e-mail reply, but Kris is hogging the main computer, so I'm left with the laptop (on which e-mail is inefficient), so I'll leave this comment:
    Dude! It's totally awesome that you replied to my comment and e-mailed the reply to me. I wish more webloggers would do that. I don't do it all the time (some comments don't need it), but I try to do it if there's something substantial that I want the person to know.
    You are an A-1 nerd. (But then you knew that, didn't you?)

    ReplyDelete