Friday, April 14, 2006

Bad Day

Yesterday was a Bad Day. I got paged at 6:30 (am!) and I wasn't even on call. Silverton needed a pathologist in an hour and it was my day to travel.

I didn't get back to Salem till after 1:30, where I found a day's worth of work waiting for me. I managed to get things under control by 5:00, and then just needed to take a few pictures for a conference today. After two hours of frustration (and foul language) I still had nothing good to show for my efforts. Damn digital camera programs - aren't these supposed to make life easier.

We no longer have a kitchen and of, course the house is a disaster so we decided to go out. My meal was very disappointing. I would have rather had Top Ramen.

When we got back, I decided to take a bath with Megan. After getting myself mostly undressed, I started to undress Megan and realized she was harboring a full load. So I trotted off down the hall, half naked, to get Megan cleaned up. Then we headed back to the bathroom where all I had to do was take off my undergarments. In that brief moment, Megan let the flood gates open and peed all over herself and the bathroom floor (remember, our bathrooms are carpeted - yuck!). I found a rag and managed to get Megan and the floor half dry, before flopping into the tub.

But in the tub I asked Megan, "Who am I?," as I frequently do. But today instead of replying with her usual "Daddy," she surprised me with a "Mom." To make sure this wasn't a fluke I asked again several times throughout the bath, always to get the heart warming response of "mom." Later I demonstrated her latest accomplishment to Mac. He followed with an inquiry to Megan about his own identity. Her response: "Mom." After being called Daddy for the last six months I found this kind of satisfying. And when Megan signed, "I love you" to me without any cues, I was downright thrilled.

Maybe it wasn't such a bad day after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment