Thursday, October 19, 2006

Click

Last night we watched Click. We hadn't ever intended to see this movie, but savvy-shopper Mac noticed that this "guaranteed-in-stock" movie wasn't in stock at Blockbuster last week. He was immediately struck with the urge to see this movie, and his request garnered a free coupon for a later rental.

Like Spanglish, Click is an Adam Sandler movie that doesn't fit his stereotype. In fact, both Mac and I said we'd classify this movie as a drama rather than a comedy. Too bad, since I really wanted a light-hearted movie after viewing four hours of kick-ass women in Kill Bill the previous two nights.

Click wasn't a great movie and I certainly wouldn't recommend it, but it had a theme that I have found myself milling over for the past twelve hours or so. The not so subtle message of Click is to enjoy the present, to live for the moment, to stop chasing the pot of gold and instead just enjoy the rainbow.

After the movie was over, I tried to explain to Mac that this was the exact reason I like to go look at Megan sleeping - every night. But in reality, I have always been a look-ahead kind of person. I find myself counting down to big events and even small ones, like Friday. I didn't care for pregnancy, but partly I think that was because I was more focused on what was to come. I eagerly anticipated the end of high school, of college, of med school, of residency. My school life was broken up into little well-defined chunks of time and it was easy to set my sights on the finish line.

But I think the reason I haven't yet forgotten this forgettable movie, is that I have come to see the next big chapter in my life as retirement and this seems a little too far in the future to start counting down. Certainly, there are many things between now and retirement to look forward to: vacations, holidays, having another child, our children starting school - but what I seem to really want to focus on is getting to the end of something. In Click, Adam Sandler wants to get on to the next big thing so badly, that his life fast-forwards to his deathbed.

So, don't go out and rent the movie, but rather go out and play with your kids, (or admire them in their sleep), walk in the garden, or be happy just sitting where you are, and I'll try to do the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment