Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Spring

On the Sunday afternoon of the day that Liam was born, I was trying to get some of my vegetable seeds started in our grow lamp rigged out laundry room. I was in the process of soaking little individual peat pots when I started having a few contractions. At that point I still thought it was nothing, the so-called "false labor" at best. I jokingly said to Mac, "I'm going to be disappointed if I have this baby before I get my tomotoes planted." That pretty much sealed my fate; by the time the peat pots were fully hydrated and ready to plant, I was getting ready to go to the hospital. The tomatoes didn't get planted till almost a week after Liam got home. Ironically, the stuff I did get planted before Liam was born are the things I should have waited on, things that are ready to be planted now even though it is still a bit too cold for that just yet.

The gourds, cukes, annuals, and melons are all outgrowing their pots. And those puny little seedlings on the left are the peppers and eggplants, things I have always had trouble with and could use as much extra time as possible. Instead they got planted even later than the tomatoes. Well, there is always next year...



So yesterday, on the day Liam was supposed to be born, I got back to planting tomatoes. This time it was to transplant the seedlings to 1 gallon pots that will hang out in the greenhouse for several more weeks before arriving at their final destination in the pasture garden. Megan helps by adding inspirational chalk artwork to the greenhouse pavers and the pots.



I ended up with 6 'golden jubilee,' 6 'red lightning', 6 'siberian,' and 8 romas, which doesn't exactly make sense because I planted two twelve packs of peat discs so I don't know how I got 26 tomatoes (yes, I did recount) - free bonus pot in each pack maybe?? Who knows. Unfortunately, I never did get around to starting any cherry type tomatoes. I guess I'll have to pick up a couple of starts - an insignificant expense compared to Liam's $25,000 NICU bill!




No comments:

Post a Comment