Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Obsessive Compulsive Tomato Kick

My friend Joel has recently been studying psychiatry. He used his newfound knowledge to try to diagnose a stranger with obsessive compulsive personality disorder, but as he ticked off the criteria, I found the traits oddly self-descriptive. The kicker:"an inability to get rid of things even though they have no sentimental value." Coupled with my plant addiction, this trait was the driving force behind my inordinate number of tomato plants this year. You see I planted at least twice as many as I thought I would need, figuring then I could have my choice of the strongest plants. But when the weather warmed enough to plant outside, I found that I couldn't part with any of my blossoming beauties. I mean, how could I just compost something that I had been nurturing in the greenhouse for two months? And so, I found space for all 28(!) plants. - good thing we have a lot of land!



Look at that fruit! And I figure it'll be great fun to chuck all the extra tomatoes off of the deck!




2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should invest in a food dryer and make dried tomatoes? Or do you have visions of tomato sauce dancing in your head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh both, I assure you! The tomato sauce is the one jarred product from last year that we used up completely. I wouldn't mind doing a couple of different kinds this year. I have had a food dryer for years - kind of nostalgic as my dad used to dry of apricots and peaches when we were growing up from our backyard trees - the only kind of preserving my family ever did. Unfortunately, I have only used my dryer once - maybe this year will be different!

    ReplyDelete