Sunday, September 7, 2008

McKenzie River

Our family spent the weekend in a little cabin on the Mckenzie River. At the cabin, the kids started pressing every button on the TV and DVD player; we had to unplug them. Then they were all over the microwave buttons since it was on a low cart; we had to unplug it, too. Liam open the microwave and started playing with the glass rotating tray; we had to put it high on the stove. We had to move the coffee pot, too. The glass coasters, fire starters, and guest log book (with pen) made their way onto the high mantle in short order. The carefully laid out magazines on the coffee table had to be collected. the kids started playing with the kitchen utensils, which we thought was ok, after I took the steak knife out of Liam's mouth and confiscated all the rest of the knives. Once we had the place more or less child-proof, it was a nice place!

Megan got to work on her photography a bit. Mostly, she takes crummy photos of chairs, and feet, and half of Liam's face, but this one she took was fairly impressive (our camera is pretty crappy so we let Megan wander around with it. I think Mac is secretly hoping she breaks it.) No parental input at all - even on composition!




But the real reason for our trip was the McKenzie River Trail Race, my first 50K race (No, I don't have a brain tumor!). Fortunately, Megan was there to help me with all my uniform details:
Meg: Are you wearing underwear?
P: Yeah, hun.
Meg: Are they going to get all sweaty?
P: yeah, probably, but I have new ones for after the race.
Meg: Are you going to wear a bra?
P: Yeah, a running bra.
Meg: Is it going to get all sweaty?

On the drive to the start, I was a bit nervous. I told Mac,"oh my God I am freaking out!" Megan chimed right in,"Mom, you're a freak! you're a freak!" Mac and I both denied teaching her that one!

The race went well - I am now a 50K veteran! After 31 miles, I was only 8 minutes behind the women's winner, taking 5th in the women's race. If you want the details (be warned - this is way more tha you ever wanted to know!), you can read about it here.

I spent the rest of Saturday lounging around, trying not to move, which is hard with two kids, even with Mac doing the lion's share!




Sunday, we headed home fairly early, at Megan's urging, which was fine with us since we didn't have any real plans. Plus, I am thinking we'll be headed back next year - I've got 8 minute to shave off my time!

No comments:

Post a Comment