Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Iowa, Part 2

I won't keep you in suspense any longer for the conclusion of our Iowa vacation!

Friday we drove to Davenport, on the Illinois border. Nice river views, but, um, a little lacking in charm. However, the super swanky country club for the rehearsal dinner was nice. We got to spend some time with Anindita and her husband Tim that night, since we were lucky enough to have them sitting at our table.



Saturday morning, we decided to make a point of crossing the Mississippi and taking the kids to Illinois. Liam has already been to 10 states (if you include DC) in his meager two and a half years (WA, OR, CA, HI, CO, IA, IL, MD, DC, and VA). Megan has three more to her credit (NV, UT and AZ). I guess we are still doing a good job of getting around after having kids.

Anyway, we asked some of the Moline townsfolk for a good Illinois breakfast place and they both recommended the Village Inn. When we realized that the Village Inn was a local chain (with many Iowa lacations as well) similar to Denny's, we decided to keep looking. And so our quintessential Illinois meal came down to a stop at Donut Delite. Hey, at least it was local!




Then it was time for me to get ready for the wedding. Since my high school best friend is Indian, all of the bridesmaids wore sari's. Most of us were total Whities, so going ethnic for a day was so exciting. We met early so we could have the "aunties" dress us because none of us knew how to put on a sari. I immediately made my cultural ignorance clear by coming downstairs with my sari top on backwards. After a good laugh at the pasty white girl, the aunties got me all straightened out. It was awesome. I felt so exotic in my sari! Best bridesmaid dress ever!




We took a bunch of photos, but really didn't have much of a role in the ceremony. One of our main jobs was to show the guests that it was okay to go to the bar during the ceremony (typically guests mingle during a Hindu ceremony instead of just sitting and watching), so I fulfilled my duties by getting some champagne and then hanging out with Mac for the rest of the time.






(Above: the "white wedding" dress, for the reception. Below: Hindu attire (and posing) for the ceremony)

After dinner, we reunited with the kids (who had been in a child care area) and they were ready to DANCE! I think Liam got the third dance with the bride after her husband and Dad!






We all crashed after a way too late night and finally got back home super-late Sunday night (actually Monday morn). This holiday weekend we are still recovering before our next big adventure to Cali for Auntie Kendall's wedding.

1 comment:

  1. That purple sari looks great on you. It's the perfect color for you!
    You got me thinking about how many states Brooke has been in (WA, OR, CA, NV, GA, NC, VA, MD, and next month we are going to SC). I guess your kids have our beat yet again!

    ReplyDelete