Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Anti-Social

Today we were at the local Fred Meyer, when I ran into someone I knew. It was a pathologist that I had trained under and greatly respected. I smiled and said, "hi." He stared at me blankly for a few moments, whether because it had been several years since we had worked together or because I was sporting a messy ponytail and less than professional attire I know not. Finally, it clicked: "Pam? Hi! How are you?"

We chatted for a few minutes before we went back to shopping.

As we were driving home, I turned to Mac,"The reason I hate shopping there is because I always run into someone I know."

"You are the most anti-social person I know!" Mac retorted. "Why does it bug you to talk to people for a few minutes?'

Yes, I admit I am fairly anti-social and I really don't care for small talk and chit-chat. But I don't think I am totally out of line here. I mean, if I really wanted to chat with the people I run into, I would have had them over for dinner, or called them to talk, or at least sent them an e-mail. And hey, they hadn't exactly been tracking me down to have a conversation either! I don't mind running into friends, but it seems awkward to force a conversation with a distant collegue or a mom from Megan's pre-school class just because we happen to need milk on the same day. So if you'd like to chat, drop me a line or send me an e-mail, but don't go looking for me in the super-market!


No comments:

Post a Comment