Monday, April 9, 2007

Movin' On Up!

Don't worry, we aren't moving Liam out of the closet and into the attic! But Liam is moving up a clothing size! The preemie clothes are long gone and now he is out of his newborn stuff, too. Actually*, he doesn't fill any of these things out at all, but our butt-less son is too long for these smaller sizes.

Meanwhile, 2T is a size of the past in Megan's closet. It's all 3T's now (and even possibly 4T in Carter's brand, which seems to think kids are smaller than every other clothing company does).

*The actually aside: Megan now says "actually" several times a day.
Me: Megan, be careful, the peas are hot.
Megs: Actually, they're warm.
The clumsy way this word tumbles out of her little mouth has made me aware of how I use this word myself. Actually, Megan has made me see that I actually use this word too much!
;)

3 comments:

  1. Regarding "actually", I wonder about these verbal habits- do we use them meaninglessly or are they clues to how we see the world? For instance, when you say "Actually" is it because you need a filler word and "actually" sounds better than "um"? Or do you feel that the world suffers from numerous inaccuracies that require correction? Or my friend who likes to use "honestly" a lot, are they worried about their own proclivity to lie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I think you are not alone in this phenomenon. Harrison said actually a lot when he first started to converse. I found it quite odd. Then the same thing happened with Antonio, Kim's son. You guessed it - Emma went through an actually stage also. I guess we parents say "Actually" more often than we think.
    Here's my theory. A two year old is aquiring so much language and they make general rules of language...so in many cases they end up getting the language wrong. To soften the blow and correct the language we say "Actually that's a ________." It sounds a lot nicer than "No, you're wrong!" or "That's not right." And we have so many other opportunities to say No to a 2 year old. Actually, this phase is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Jenn is right; I say actually a lot to Megan in her efforts to figure out the world.

    ReplyDelete