Saturday, December 18, 2004

Hangover

This morning, after a fun but late night at Jeremy and Jennifer's Christmas party, I woke up with a "hangover:" dry cottony mouth, hungry-gurgly stomach, sore restless legs and a bit of a headache. Who knew the sparkling cider could be so dangerous?

Morning sickness in men is a well reported phenomenon during a partner's pregnancy; it even has a fancy French name (that I can't recall). The reasons are unknown - some suggest extreme sympathy, others extreme fear and worry on the part of the father-to-be. Perhaps I experienced a similar phenomenon as Mac took full advantage of having a designated driver last night. Perhaps after watching him pass out in the car, stumble into the house, and throw back a few prophylactic Advil tabs followed by a large tumbler of water (a bedtime routine I hadn't seen in many years), I could only sympathize and fear what was to come to the point of my own unease. Or perhaps after twelve months of abstinence, I was intoxicated by Mac's alcoholic breath as he slept beside me. Whatever the cause I was feeling a little sluggish this morning. Mac, on the other hand, jumped out of bed feeling great and in a disposition sunny enough to match the beautiful morning. Perhaps I should have taken some Advil, too!

4 comments:

  1. For the record, I was not "stumbling" anywhere and sleeping is different from "passing out." Perhaps if you would have provided some stimulating conversation I would have been able to stay awake :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live it up, Mac - while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew enjoyed over a year of designated driving on my part! He also drank for both of us. I think that was his favorite part of my pregnancy. On the other hand, mine isn't the only belly that grew a bit!
    I hope you can both enjoy these last few weeks (easier said than done for you, Pam). But, it won't be long now before your life changes forever. Go on as many dates as you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dates?? who has time for that? we are just trying to hit all the x-mas parties and get our shopping done!

    ReplyDelete