Wednesday, December 15, 2004

The Interview

Monday I headed down to Salem for an interview. It was a nice first interview as I was already acquainted with a few of the people working there, plus I had visited the lab before so I knew my way around a bit. The only real downside was the timing as I had not planned to do any interviewing while so massively pregnant. I quickly learned that pregnancy and professional attire don't readily mix. Fortunately, I was able to come up with something I thought was fairly acceptable based on things I already had (plus some new jewelry from Santa).




As you can see, I had to make some accommodations for my pre-pregnancy skirt. Fortunately, those extra long maternity shirts kept my un-zipped state unknown.

I thought the interview went quite well and I was impressed with the operation. Everyone seemed to get along well. And despite all the nasty things people have been telling Mac about Salem, everyone there seemed to think it was a great place to live.

A lot of the interview day was spent describing different aspects of the job. The docs all work the standard pathology week (4.5 days) when they aren't enjoying their ample vacation time. In the off hours the pathologists are engaged in activities like building mansions, buying horses, and driving Porches. I think it would be a struggle, but that I might, in time, learn to tolerate that kind of thing. Anyway, I am hoping they offer me the job, which is why I am off to write a suck-up thank you letter (even though I really should be writing thank you's to my family for all the nice shower gifts).

4 comments:

  1. Who says bad things about Salem?
    Kris and I loved Salem. It was a great place to live. It's large enough to offer various cultural events, but it also feels small and rural. The public library is honestly the best public library I've ever used. The downtown is small and accessible, yet filled with fine shops. Salem has fine schools, fine parks, and passable restaurants. (There are lots of good hole-in-the-wall restaurants.) The streets are safe (despite talk to the contrary). Public transportation is good. Etc. Etc.
    I'd rather live in Salem than in any other place I've ever lived. Seriously. It's a great place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, J.D. This is good to hear, especially because that is exactly how I picture Salem in my mind. Be sure to let Mac know how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mac already knew how he felt...And I'm not against Salem...I just have reservations about it...of which we have discussed, and will continue to discuss...later...when I'm not covering a class full of kids for someone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! I hope they offer you the job so we can visit you in your Salem mansion.

    ReplyDelete