Thursday, October 21, 2004

Hic-Hic-Hiccup

On Monday night I felt some rhythmic small pings on my belly wall. Certain that these were way too regular to be random baby movement, I thought I must be feeling heart beat transmissions. I knew immediately that this tapping was way to slow to be the fetal heart, but a quick check of my pulse showed that they were too slow to be my heart either. About that time, they went away; I went to sleep.

Last night, the same thing happened - only it kept going. Like the rap, rap, rapping, tap, tap, tapping of Poe's raven, it was a bit erie. After a few minutes of fascination, I turned over and it went away.

This morning I tried to find out what was going on. I finally came to a diagnosis: my kid has the hiccups! This is supposed to be really common when the fetus is going through lung development - as the neophyte breather works on technique the young muscles and nerves become uncoordinated, ergo HICCUPS!

No comments:

Post a Comment